After reading the lecture and chapter 13, view the videos linked in the Web Site Adventure for this session. To help in understanding the artists and their works, I have also included links to some of the artists’ websites and some interviews or documentaries concerning their works.
1.) New link for Bill Viola – Cameras are Keepers of the Soul – interview
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
2.) New link for Peter Campus – Three Transitions
3.) New link for Jym Davis – White Space
4.) Nam June Paik …Installation at the Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, D.C.
- Dadaikseon (The More the Better), installation at the Guggenheim Museum in New York
5.) Video Flag Z at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (this is the one in your text)
- Venus in the Hans Meyer Gallery in Cologne, Germany (includes interview with the gallery owner)
The following are for information only – not for use in the assignment:
- Restoration of a Nam June Paik work – A major work by video artist Nam June Paik is restored in Trenton, NJ.
- Processing the Signal, Part 2 – part of a documentary in which Paik is interviewed and some of his early works are displayed
After viewing the videos, choose two of your favorites. Number (1, 2, 3, 4 and then repeat 1, 2, 3, 4) and answer the following four discussion questions for EACH one of your TWO video choices:
Title of the video piece / Name of the artist-filmmaker
- Discuss why you chose this piece.
- List five words that describe this piece or that come to mind when you view this piece.
- How did the work cause you to perceive anything differently than you may have before? Discuss how it presented a new perspective.
Note: You will answer the four questions above on EACH of your two different video selections.